Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Treasures

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever look at the calendar and not associate dates with memories of Jeff McFalls.   As we approach the six month mark since he's been gone, I find myself more and more emotional.   Tonight, I stood on stage and looked at the place where my husband preached his last message.   It was six months ago tonight.  We didn't know that he would be in heaven before the week was out.  It feels like he's been gone much longer, yet the pain of his absence is still so fresh that it reminds me that it hasn't been very long at all.

It just seems like every time I see a blasted calendar, it brings back memories of another time...a time where he still was here and my life was complete.   Now there is a void...one that only God can fill.

I've been listening to his sermons this week and it makes me miss him, yet comforts me at the same time.   I'm grateful for a plethora of sermons and recordings that captured his voice.   I wish there was more video.   Sometimes I just go stand in our closet and hold one of his shirts.   His scent is fading, but his memory is not.  

I try to imagine what heaven must be like.   What is he doing there?  What does his new body look like?    Funny,  as much as he enjoyed eating and golf, somehow I know that those things are no longer important to him.   All that matters now is worshipping his Lord.   I think I could find him right away...he'll be at the feet of Jesus.

As I thought about that tonight, I realized that everything Earthly thing that was important to Jeff McFalls, lost it's importance when he entered heaven.   As much as he loved loud, rocking' music, the music there is far, far, far better.   He loved football and basketball and golf...but I bet he hasn't missed it once since being there.   I noticed yesterday that ESPN hasn't been on in our home since he left.  (That may change with football season coming!)  It makes me think...what do I treasure here?   What do I invest my time, energy and money into?   My most valuable possessions will one day become worthless to me.   Only what I have stored up in heaven will be important.

Jeff made regular deposits into heaven's economy before leaving this world.   When I think of all the people he told of Jesus, all those who he helped send a missionary to, all those who he loved on while he was here,  I know that he is reaping the blessings now.  

I want to do the same.   I want to invest in God's economy.  With my time, talent, words and deeds, I want to touch people and tell them about Jesus.   I want to win as many as possible to him.   When I look at the happenings around the world, I have to think time is short.   When I look at the calendar, I know that it is very possible that by the time this  calendar expires, we could be with Jesus.   I want to make the most of every day...live life to the fullest until He comes again or takes me home.   Matthew 6:21 says that where my treasure is, there my heart will be also.   If that is the case, my heart is already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment