Thursday, January 21, 2016

Stop!

My daughter is always challenging me to play new games with her.   Usually, she finds a new game, enjoys it for a few weeks, challenges me to play, gets me hooked and then she moves on to something bigger and better.   And I'm hooked.   Like addicted to this new game!  She did it again this week.   Well, actually she challenged Mike to play and I overheard...couldn't resist!

This new game is called Stop! and it works kinda like Scattegories.   Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE word games so this one had an instant draw.   So the object of the game is to find words that fit into 5 categories that begin with a particular letter and to do it all with only moments on the clock.  Yesterday, I found myself spending valuable time, time that I should've been doing something productive, playing this stupid game!  

I made up words...knowing full well that the words I made didn't fit the category, but hoping against all hope that I could outsmart that blasted game!   In the midst of my frustration with this game, God spoke to me.   I know, that's crazy, but that's the way He gets my "ADD" attention.   Yesterday, He just said, "Stop!"...using a game by the same name.

He showed me how much I depend on my own wisdom and experience for words...and when I do that creates a struggle that brings unwarranted stress into my life.  Whether I am playing a game or trying to counsel a friend,  He reminded me that I was searching for words, when searching for the Word would be a much better use of my time.   You see, it is very easy for me to get lost in a game...but it had been a while since I got lost in the Word.   

I was trying to be a wordsmith, when what I needed was the Word.   John 1:1, tells us that, "in the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was God."   He's been there all along.   

Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path."   How many times do I struggle to find my way...to make sense of this crazy world we live in...without going to the Word for direction?   

The odd thing is that I KNOW how much life comes from being in the Word.   You have witnessed how God has spoken to me in my darkest hours through His life-giving Word.   Why in the world would I ever neglect to read His Word?   And I've even been studying for my ordination to become a minister!   What I realized, was that even though I was reading to study for my exam, I had become too busy to actually let the Word minister to me.   I was reading it, but I didn't have time to allow the Lord to speak to me.   I got a mental picture of Him watching me read His Word and then saying, "Stop!   I want this to sink in...you need this more than you know!"    

I realized that when I write, I usually write with the hope that someone will stop, and read it, and find meaning in it.   I believe that desire came straight from God.  I am created in His image, so I believe that desire to have my words not only read, but to have them bring hope to those who read, comes from the one I am created to be like...The Word himself. The One who can speak life-giving words into whatever category of life we find ourselves in, because He is the Word!

Lord, help me STOP everything that would hinder me from Your Word, today!

No comments:

Post a Comment