Saturday, December 21, 2013

Our Journey #36

This week has been a crazy week!  Emotions have been running high...both on Facebook and in our home!  The reasons aren't the same but it occurred to me this morning that the outcome is...chaos.  

This week Phil Robertson answered a question during an interview and overnight, Facebook became a battleground.   First, let me say, I support Phil and believe that what he said is from the Bible and therefore true.   I don't believe he said any of it maliciously or with hatred in his heart, but nonetheless he spoke the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.    What has amazed me, however, is the reaction of Christians.   Before you tune me out, let me say this...I do believe that we must stand up for what we believe.   We must always stand up for the cause of Christ and never waver on that.   That being said, I believe there are many of us who have acted this week "in the flesh" and not "by His spirit".   I've read comments this week that proclaimed hatred instead of love.   Some have championed the cause of "Free Speech" with such venom that they have in fact silenced their testimony to lost world that is watching the way Christians react.  

Yesterday, Jeff had a chemo treatment.  While we were there, a couple came in and sat beside me.   I was reading at the time so I did not see their faces, just noticed that they had sat down right next to me.   Soon after, one of the other patients got up to leave and as she left, she wished everyone in the room a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.    Several said, "Merry Christmas" back as she walked out the door.   This couple next to me, however, had a different reaction.   For the next several minutes, I listened as the lady "ranted" to the man about how rude it was for people to say Merry Christmas...just assuming everyone in the room was Christian.   She went on to state that she didn't understand why it made people mad when she said Happy Holidays...that was her right, after all.    A few minutes passed and another patient finished their treatment and rose to leave...again, wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.   This time the lady, very snippily responded, "Happy Holidays".  

My first reaction was, "she needs to chill"...but then I believe the Holy Spirit allowed me to see her through God's eyes.    I don't know why she doesn't believe...but I know that regardless of whether she does or doesn't, He still loves her.   Her remark offended me, but it didn't offend Him.   See He loves us in our sin...whether we like it or not.   I know this is weird but I felt the Holy Spirit prompt me to just smile at her as we left.   Not to wish her or anyone else in the room anything.  Just smile.   My flesh wanted to say Merry Christmas and tell her all about Jesus.  But my spirit said I should just shut up and smile.   That wasn't nearly as instantly gratifying as a Merry Christmas would have been, but who do I put my trust in?  Me or God?   He was doing this long before I came on the scene so I think I'll trust Him.   So as we left, I just looked at her and smiled.   And she smiled back...sorta.   That's it...I don't know where her story goes from there, only God does.   Perhaps He'll use that smile to start something.

Starting something...that's what some of us are aiming for.   But we need to pause and ask ourselves a question.  What are we trying to start.   A fight?   A conversation?  Or an opportunity to share the love of Christ?   Perhaps, if we will take a moment, just a moment, to pray before we speak, what we have to say might actually be heard.   Perhaps, if we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit, He will pave the way.  

I believe that Phil's remarks in His interview were Spirit led...let's be careful to make sure that our reactions are as well.   Ok...enough on that...

I told you its been a crazy week...it has.   On Monday one of my dearest friends found out that she has a tumor on her kidney and other masses present in the lymph nodes as well.  She is facing surgery and possibly  chemo/radiation.   Hearing this news brought back a flood of emotions as I hurt for her and her family...knowing the fear and concern all too well.   Then later this week I heard from a friend who already had learned that her cancer had returned.   A follow-up visit to the doctor resulted in more bad news...a very risky surgery and more chemo/radiation are in her future.   On Wednesday a friend's dad had a stroke, however thankfully by the end of the day was being deemed a miracle by his doctors.   As I write this, yet another friend is facing a screening for cancer since a routine test came back abnormal.   Chaos!!   That's what it feels like!

This morning was the culmination of an out of control week as I found myself attempting to clean a house that has been neglected due to a crazy schedule.   I was nearly to the point of hyperventilation when once again I felt the spirit nudge me to take a breath and be careful about the way I was responding to my family.   Sadly, I had already snapped but quickly He brought me back into line and reminded me that a heartfelt apology goes a long way.   The house is quiet now and clean...er.    Still not exactly what I wanted but people are more important.    The way I treat them and speak to them is important.      I don't like chaos...I don't respond well to it.   Jesus speaks peace to my chaos.   No matter where the chaos is coming from,  He always seems to be able to speak peace to my storm.  He calms the winds that rage...whether it is do to an injustice or an illness or just a life that feels out of conrol...He always speaks peace.    I'm glad I know the Peace Speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment