Thursday, May 8, 2014

Best Tip Ever!

It's been two months.   Sixty-one days without the love of my life.   Not a moment passes that I don't miss him.  I keep waiting for him to walk in or call.   I miss him so much.   I wish I could wake up and find that this is all just a vivid dream.   I've spent the past couple of days reminiscing...thinking about the early days.

Jeff and I met at Lee University (then it was Lee College).   My friend, Tina and I were on our way to social event on campus and Jeff was sitting in the pedestrian mall with his friends.   They were actually checking out pics of his then girlfriend...I was not interested.    Two weeks later, when Tina suggested that she'd like to introduce me to someone and I found out it was him, I was not amused...or interested.   I was at school to get an education, not to find a man -- Tina, however, was persistent...and sneaky.   Somehow she managed to arrange for the now single Jeff McFalls to be in my dorm lobby just as I was returning from class...very clever of her, I might add.

He needed a paper typed.   Guess who knew how to type?   Well, at least she got us to talk.   He was a nice enough guy, but he was focused on school and so was I.   No time for dating, or so we thought.   One night after classes, Tina suggested that we go grab a bite to eat.   She suggested that we go to the Gondolier...and guess who worked at the Gondolier?   She was hopeless...I might as well play along.   Jeff came over to wait on our table and I caught glimpses of the great guy that she had been telling me about.  Friends, I thought...we can be friends.

She and I ordered small greek salads...I think they were 3.99 each and we were both drinking water.   Jeff checked in on us several times and finally brought our checks to the table.   Then Tina asked me the strangest question, "How much extra cash do you have on you?"    At first, I thought she needed me to pick up her check, but she had something much more sneaky in mind.   I had enough to pay my bill and about eleven bucks to boot.  So Tina says, "Give it to me...trust me, you'll be glad you did."   Well, she was my friend and since I thought she needed it, I gladly handed it over to her.  She then proceeded to leave my future husband  an eleven dollar tip  (from me).   I thought she was nuts but then she convinced me that he was a starving college student and leaving him a good tip would be a blessing.   So I said ok.  

I was surprised when he showed up at my dorm the next morning to return the tip.   He said he knew that I couldn't afford it as a college student and that he didn't feel right about taking it.   When I refused to take it back, he said that I'd have to go out with him then...it was the only way he'd keep it. That eleven dollar tip turned out to be the investment of a lifetime.   One that I reaped an incredible return on!!

Just ten short months later, we were married.   Today, I sat and thought about all the things God had to work out in order for me to meet Jeff McFalls.   It amazes me that I even ended up at Lee...my life was on a completely different path and God stopped me in my tracks.   He ordered every step...even the eleven dollar tip for the $3.99 salad!

I don't understand why God had to take Jeff home so early...but I believe that God ordered his every step. Even the step that took him from this world to heaven. Proverbs 16:9 reminds me that "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." I had a plan...Jeff had a plan...but God had a bigger plan. I don't claim to understand His plan...but I do trust it. I have to. He has proven over and over that His plan is better than my plan...His way is higher than my way.   He directed a friend to make a ridiculous suggestion...and it changed my life.   It was the best tip I ever got...and the best one I ever gave.   Thank you, Tina Braswell, for hearing from God all those years ago and convincing your friend to do something that felt incredibly stupid.   Eleven dollars that led to a priceless lifetime of love and happiness.

I don't know what is on the horizon for me, but I do know that the same God who ordered my steps to cross paths with Jeff McFalls is still ordering my steps.   I may plan my course, but He will establish my steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment