Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A turtle's journey...

The last 24 hours have been emotionally draining for me as I have been kinda "slapped in the face" so  to speak with the harsh reality that this journey that I am on is continuing.   Some days I am ok with that...others, like today, I just want off this ride.  

My middle son, Doran, is graduating next week and today was his last day of high school.   The gravity of knowing that Jeff didn't get to witness this moment is something I have put off thinking about...until now.   But I can no longer dodge that bullet...I have to face it head on.   Our journey is continuing without Jeff.

Our church announced tonight that they have selected someone to candidate as our pastor...the same weekend that Doran graduates.   So, in the same weekend, I will celebrate my son's accomplishments and possibly celebrate the arrival of Jeff's successor.   Another reminder that the journey is continuing.   Before I go on, let me say that okay with this whole process...it is an exciting time for our church, I am just missing my husband terribly and very emotional.   Those of you who encounter me for the next week or so, please do not see my tears and think that I am angry or anything like that...until you've been on this journey, I cannot adequately describe the gamut of emotions I am going through.

So this morning I was doing some shopping, a few minutes of alone time, and I happened across this bracelet that spurred the title for this blog.   The bracelet is a tiny silver sea turtle with a braided cord.     Simple, yet pretty.   But it was the wording on the box that caught my eye..."JOURNEY, even the greatest journeys start with small steps".   I knew at that moment that God had led me to that exact spot in the store to teach me something.

Sea turtles are amazing creatures.   We live in a beach community in an area known as the Wilderness Coast.    It's a stretch of seaside property that has somehow escaped the rush of development that seems to be the trend nowadays.   One of the areas near our home is Bald Point and is known for being a nesting area for sea turtles.   There are some in our area, who seem to have put the value of the sea turtle above human life...that is out of whack and a shame.   But still, these creatures are wonderful, beautiful creatures and God used them today to remind me of His plan for this journey I am on.

Some interesting facts about sea turtles:  Did you know that sea turtles spend their entire lives at sea?    Sea turtles migrates hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles in search of food.  Sea turtles will return to the same beach they hatched at to lay their eggs (even if it means traveling across an ocean to get there).   Within hours of hatching, a sea turtle will find its way to the water.   A baby sea turtle will "follow the light" to get to the sea.   Baby sea turtles have an inborn instinct to go toward the brightest spot in their search of the sea.    Sea turtles have flippers, not feet, which makes traveling on land very clumsy and cumbersome.  Sea turtles must surface from time to time in order to breathe...otherwise they will drown.

So here is what I've learned today from the sea turtle (well actually from God but He used the sea turtle to teach me).  There will be times on this journey when I will struggle to find my place.   I must remember to take baby steps, and keep taking them.   Soon, I will get there.   I must follow the Light. Jesus is the Light and by following  Him I will find my way.   There will be times that will flounder and struggle, but if I will keep my eyes fixed on Him, He will lead me.   At times, my journey will seem long.   Sometimes I will find myself in a sea that seems to have no boundaries and the way will be hard to find.   During those times, I must use the resources He has given me for direction.   The sea turtle has it's own God-given senses that help it find it's way back to that original beach.    We have God's word to help us.   Periodically, I have to come up for air.   Though I may think I am strong enough to continue on this journey without pausing to refill my lungs, I am wrong.  I am not designed that way.   God has designed me to come to the surface for air.   That may look like tears to onlookers, but it is a time when I exhale and then refill my lungs so I can continue on.

Those fumbling, awkward baby steps that frustrate me so much and make me feel like I am getting nowhere are just the beginning of an amazing journey.   It is one that will take me to places beautiful  and exciting.   Occasionally , it will bring me back to where I began, but if I will continue to follow the Light, I will find my way again and will produce many "babies" along the way.   Even the greatest of journeys start with small steps.

Lord, help me remember that even the small steps are important.   Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You and to remember to breathe...exhaling things of the past and inhaling new life.  Thank you for this journey you have set before me.   Help me to appreciate the beauty and not become so frustrated with awkwardness of a new beginning.   Oh, and yes...I bought the bracelet!

1 comment: