Monday, June 23, 2014

In Hot Pursuit...

Every now and then, I find time to just "veg" in front of the tv.   Last week, while I was at camp, I was having trouble sleeping and found myself sitting on the sofa, watching some kind of cop show.   I was so exhausted mentally that I sat and watched a 20 minute high speed chase and somehow didn't feel compelled to change the channel.   I just sat there and watched a multitude of police vehicles pursue one lone truck that was used in the get away of crooks who had just robbed a store (or something...I don't really remember all the details!)   It wasn't really important what the offense was...the show was all about the pursuit.

Isn't that a good reflection of the society we live in.   We are all in pursuit of something.   Some pursue a career or wealth, some pursue knowledge, some pursue health or happiness, many pursue love.

As I plotted this blog, I began to recall my relationship with my late husband.   Jeff loved to tell everyone about how I had pursued him until I caught him.   Although he did like to really embellish the story, there was much truth in the tale that he told.   Once I realized that Jeff was A) available and B) a good catch, I do have to admit that the pursuit was on!   My mom had always taught me that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach, so I began to send all my delacasies over to his dorm.   Nearly every day I would make cookies, or brownies or an oreo delight and take it over to Ellis Hall.   Looking back, I realize there was no way he could've eaten all that stuff...so that's why all his friends seemed to encourage him to date me!

Then came the time to step up my game and give the "whopper" 11 buck tip that really turned his head!  (See "Best Tip Ever" from May 8, 2014).   Hot pursuit, baby!   But wait, he was still playing a little hard to get...so okay, full steam ahead!   Thanksgiving break and I've gone to Charlotte with my friend, Tina.   We decide to cook a Thanksgiving meal for Jeff and some friend of hers (sorry, I don't remember his name or what he even looked like...I wasn't pursuing him!)  We worked all day to prepare a beautiful turkey, grandma's recipe for dressing, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, rolls and dessert.   It was beautiful and I was certain that this pursuit was about to come to an end as surely he would see what an amazing cook I was and proclaim that he needed me in his life!   All was going well, until we began to slice the turkey (which was on a beautifully set table, btw).    About a 1/2 inch in, the turkey wasn't just raw...it was still frozen!   No one told us to THAW the turkey!!!  (And they didn't tell us about the baggie with all the giblets and the neck that was stuffed inside the bird either!)    So our pursuit changed at that moment, as we drove to a nearby restaurant for a burger!

I tell that story because when I wanted Jeff in my life, there was nothing that could stop me from pursuing him.    I'm not that different from you.   When you want something you will go after it until you get it.   Admit it.  

So when it comes to the things of Christ, why do we give up so easily.   "I just don't feel like I'm being fed anymore" is one the things that we have heard most in ministry and I drives pastors crazy!!!    How much have you really pursued spiritual food?  Have you sought out the presence of God?   I'm not talking about church hopping...I'm talking about what we are doing to create an atmosphere for the presence of God.   We just want it to happen but we are not willing to go after it.  

The part of the story that I don't often tell (and Jeff never told) is how he pursued me.   He would reroute his day so that he would be in my path between my dorm and my classes.   He would deliberately make up reasons that he needed my help with homework or studying in his classes.   He left sweet notes on my car, in my mailbox, in my textbooks...   See, I was pursuing him, but he was pursuing me, too.

Christ has pursued us...He still is!   Christ left all the comfort of heaven and came to this Earth in pursuit of us.   He died in pursuit of us.  He continues to pursue us...calling and beckoning to us.  Wooing us to Him.  

In our Sunday School class we are studying "Not a Fan" by Kyle Idleman.   This week's lesson has "the pursuit" at the forefront of my thoughts.   How can I not pursue Christ?   How can I not pursue His presence?   He gave everything in pursuit of me.   His presence is so sweet...I need it more than the air I breathe.    Over the past few weeks at camp, I have found that it is easy to get lost in the hooplah and forget to pursue His presence.   But the hoopla will never sustain me...only His presence!
So I will pursue...HOT PURSUIT!  

I leave you with the lyrics to one of my new favorite worship songs...

"Your presence is all I need
It's all I want, It's all I seek
and without it, without it there's no meaning.

Your presence is the air I breathe
the song I sing and the love I need
and without it, without it I'm not living."

And anything I need that badly, I WILL PURSUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment