Friday, April 18, 2014

Be still Butterfly

As I start this blog, let me first say that I am not one who is prone to the "Woo-Woo".  By that, I mean I don't get overly excited when I see a cloud that looks like an angel, or when I see a "sign" that others might think miraculous.   I spent more than half my life married to a man who for the most part was a skeptic...some of that rubbed off on me.

Still, occasionally God will use something little to get my attention.  I believe that is what has happened in the past few days.   Someone, I don't know who, has been taping a little silk butterfly to my mailbox.  Just one at a time...I remove it and another one appears.   At first, I thought it was a neighbor kid who was just being sweet.   But now, I'm beginning to think that it is someone who is just letting me know that I am in their thoughts and prayers.  

It is a very sweet gesture and whether that is its intent or not...that is the way God is using it.  Every time I see the butterflies (I've saved them and have them in my car and in my room), I am reminded that God has a new season for me.   That even though it feels as though I am constricted and constrained right now...a day will come when once again I will be able to push my way through this and break forth into a new season.

This cocoon is dark and confining, but it is also strong and protective.   In order to break forth, I will have to struggle.  It's part of the process and to bypass the process would mean my "wings" would be weak and death would be eminent.   The struggle is not fun, but it is necessary.  But now is not the time for the breaking forth.  Now is the time for being still.

Over and over again, God has spoken these very words to me this week.

"The Lord will fight for you' you need only to be still." Ex 14:14

"Be still, and know that I am God..." Ps 46:10

"He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!"...Mark 4:39

Just to name a few...

I believe that right now, God just wants me to "Be Still".  He made me, so He understands better than anyone just how much trouble I have with this command.   Being still is not my thing.  So honestly, when I first saw the butterflies, I wondered if God was pointing out how "flighty" I am.  How I flit from this project to that project.  Now I believe He has been giving them to me to remind me of what is ahead...however He also wants me to understand how important the cocoon is.   It is in the cocoon that I must wait, for God's perfect timing.

I'm reminded of an old song that we used to sing...

They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength
They will mount up with wings as eagles.
They will run and not be weary, they will walk and not faint
Teach me Lord, teach me Lord to wait.  

That is my prayer tonight...Lord teach me to wait, to be still, so that when the day comes and You say I'm ready, I can begin to break out of this dark confining place.   That you will give me beauty for my ashes.   New wings for a new season!

No comments:

Post a Comment