Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Our Journey (Attention to the "s")

One of the things I grew to love about my husband was the special attention he gave the letter "s".   To you (and me) it may seem insignificant, but to Jeff it was very important.    You see, his name ended in s...but many times, people would leave the last letter off and call him Jeff McFall.   Oh, how that would make his blood boil!

He would say, "What if I chose to leave the last letter off of their name?"   To Jeff McFalls, the last letter was very important!  Not just the omission of the last letter, but also the addition of a letter would set him off, too!

I remember sitting in a chapel service at Lee and all of the sudden I caught a swift elbow in my side.   The chapel speaker had been speaking about end time prophecy and had referred to the book of Revelations three times.    I looked at him puzzled (and quite annoyed to be honest) and he whispered through gritted teeth...there is only ONE Revelation...no "s" on it!

At the moment, I remember thinking, "How petty...just listen to the sermon and quit being so nit-picky."    However, over time I realized that it was his attention to detail that would many times indicate the first red flag for whether or not we should even listen to the person who was speaking.   Now, I'm not saying that everyone who ever put an s on Revelation is worthless and not worth listening to.   What I am saying is that perhaps we sometimes listen to those who use cliché or words that sound good, when in fact they haven't properly prepared for the task God has called them to.    Attention to detail is a must when one is rightly dividing the Word of God.   It is also important when dealing with the people God has entrusted into your care.

Pay attention to details...don't just skim over them.   Learning someone's name lets them know that you value them.   You care enough to get it right.   Likewise, paying attention to God's Word tells Him that you value it.   Do you value it enough to pay attention to the little details or are you willing to accept what you've simply "heard" all your life.   God's Word is worth investigating for yourself!   Psalms 119:9-16 expresses my thoughts this morning best!  Lord, don't let me wander from Your commands because I stop paying attention to detail or because I take someone else's word.   It is Your Word and only Your Word that is of upmost value.   Help me pay attention to the "s"... You are worth the effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment