Sunday, April 27, 2014

Heaven

The past week has been a bittersweet week for me.  I traveled cross country to visit a friend and that was sweet...but it was my first time flying alone in more nearly 25 years...that was bitter.   Doran attended his Sr. prom and looked so handsome in his tux...but his dad wasn't here to see it.    People say to me that he is watching and perhaps he is...but I felt the loss of my husband deeply this week.  

Several times throughout the week, I found myself talking to God and just saying, "I can't believe you took him home."    I'm not mad at God...at least most of the time I'm not...but I cannot get my mind around why He would take him.   I doubt that it will ever make sense to me this side of heaven.   But if there is a truth that I have learned throughout this journey, it is that God is still God and He is still good.  I do not serve Him because He does things my way...I serve Him because I believe He is God.

Today we had lunch with some friends from out of town.   We met them in Tallahassee and had lunch with them.   Since we are not often able to be together in one place, I decided it would be a good day to try to catch a movie together.   After Doran graduates in June, our lives will be very busy for the whole summer so it is important for us to spend as much time together as possible now.

We looked at the movies that were showing and decided to see "Heaven is for Real".   I have not read the book and keep in mind that I was married a long time to one of the biggest skeptics God ever placed on the Earth.   He wasn't skeptical about whether or not Heaven exists...just about the people who try to get rich by selling books about it.    Anyway, we decided to go see it.

The movie was a good movie.  I'm encouraged that there are many Christian movies out this year.  However, it scares me a little that many will base their beliefs off of what they see in a movie and never take time to see what the Word of God says.   I'm not here to point out inconsistencies in these movies...I've already stated that I thought this was a good movie.   But good as it is, it is just a movie.      And as adorable and innocent as that little boy was in the movie...this movie is only an interpretation of what he was able to describe.   It falls far short of what awaits us in Heaven.

When Jeff left us, nearly 2 months ago, he made Heaven his new home.   It is hard for us to imagine what he is doing there.   Some say he is singing.   Some say he is dancing.   Some say he is watching over us...but I think he is probably bowing at the feet of Jesus, worshiping his Savior.   Perhaps he has located his favorite college professor, Don Bowdle, by now and is getting a refresher in Greek or Systematic Theology.   Perhaps he's sitting with his mom, talking about all the high hopes they have for family members.   Perhaps he is laughing with Marjorie Myers and Eugene Jordan who got there just before him!  I don't know, but somehow, I think he is busy worshiping Jesus.   Why?   Because, that's all that really matters.

See, this is where I usually have problems with folks who want to bring me ninety books about Heaven.   Yes, I have a loved one there, and yes, it might bring comfort to think that he is watching over us and helping us find our way.   But bottom line is that Jeff McFalls loved Jesus.   Jesus was the only one who Jeff loved more than me.   He lived his life to worship this Christ who radically transformed his life.    So, I see him singing praises loudly, not caring whether he is on key or not.   I can see him cheering us on as we run this race.   But mostly, I see him being as close to Jesus as he can possibly get.

Heaven is for real...but I don't need a movie to tell me that.   I believe it because it is in God's word.   His infallible, complete word.   My husband is there, along with many loved ones who've gone before.   One day I will get to go, too, but until then, I am called to follow Christ here.   I need to know what that looks like.   How do I practically live out my faith so that others will see it and believe.  Not believe in me, but in the God who strengthens me.   I keep on declaring the Word of the Lord, that's how!   God's word will not return void.   Oh Lord, help me to declare your Word in such a way that I draw others to You.  Grant me favor, that I might be like a magnet pulling people to you.   I believe that Heaven is real and I want to take as many with me as I possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment