Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Journey #8

October 20, 2012


Nearly a week has passed since my last post.   In that time, Jeff had his 2nd chemo treatment and has toughed it out through the 48-72 hrs of nausea & fatigue that follows.   Maybe it was because we knew what to expect, but this one didn't seem as bad (to me anyway).   Monday morning started with some frustration, but I could see how God was at work even in our frustration.   We showed up at the chemo place for his 9 am appt only to find that he didn't have orders for chemo.   They told us that our doctor wanted to see us first (but our doctor's office had made no attempt to call us and schedule an appt)!   So over to the doc's office we go.   
We are sitting in the doc's office and I could feel my blood pressure rising, as well as fear creeping in.   Why wouldn't he send the orders...was something wrong with Jeff's numbers...what is going on.   Those nagging questions and many more that seem to assault your mind as you wait.   Finally the doc comes in and basically we find out that because we finally met our deductible, they wanted to change our chemo treatments to their office.   Thankfully, he changed his mind for this treatment...making this change would have meant Jeff would have to come back another day...postponing his recovery and possibly having him still sick on Sunday.   
So the doc begins to examine Jeff...listening to his lungs, checking for radiation symptoms (he had forgotten that we postponed the radiation), etc.   He says to Jeff, "Wow, you are doing really good...you are already sounding better and you are tolerating the radiation so well!".  To which Jeff replies, "Ah, we aren't doing the radiation yet."...."Oh, that's right...I don't know what I was thinking...you're not having to use your cough meds?"  "Nope" "Awesome".
He asked a few more questions and then indicated that he wanted us to head on over for the chemo and he wanted to see us before the next treatment and the radiation.   Now Jeff had some questions for him...like "Doc, what if my rescan shows that the cancer is gone...do I still have to do radiation"   "Well that is not scientifically possible"..."I know it may not be scientifically possible but I believe my God is healing me."   And just like that I believe God opened a door!   
You see, I've been praying for this doctor ever since the first time we met him in the hospital.   Praying that the faith that he witnesses in us and the healing that God brings will impact him so much that he will in fact become a believer in Christ as well.   He indicated that "our God" had already been at work in this situation.   Had this diagnosis come 3 or 4 years earlier, his prognosis would have been very grim.   The treatments that are available today were simply not on the horizon then.   In fact, Jeff's treatment plan was not available in Tallahassee a year ago...he would have had to travel to Moffitt or another cancer facility for this treatment.   God's timing is perfect.   
Had we not traveled to Louisville, KY...the blood clot may not have formed when it did.   Had the blood clot not formed when it did, Jeff wouldn't have suffered a pulmonary embolism.   Had he not had a PE, I certainly never would have gotten him into the hospital ...which means no testing and no diagnosis.    Had he not been diagnosed when he was, he was only months away from it being so far progressed that treatment would not have even been an option.
Futhermore, had God not placed my friend (who only remains nameless because I haven't asked her permission to use her name) in her job, with her expertise and contacts...we never would have persued further testing, never would have had a pulmonary consult, never would have had a bronchial biopsy and never would have been diagnosed...until it was too late.   God's timing is always perfect.
When we got the diagnosis, I called my friend right away to ask who she would use as an oncologist.  She responded, "Give me a little time to consult with some of my colleages and I will get right back with you.   When she called back with Bhanderi's name, I have to admit that I was a little hesitant.   His name was foreign...something in my spirit told me that he wasn't a believer.   I wanted a Christian doctor.  (Our radiation oncologist is a believer!)   But almost as soon as that thought entered my mind, so did the thought that perhaps God wanted to use Jeff and his story to win the lost...after all, we have prayed, "Win the lost at any cost!".   Please don't misunderstand me...it's not that I think God gave Jeff cancer...but I do believe that God wants to use it for His glory!  
This whole scenario is yet to be written...but what if God wants us to lead our Doctor to Him?   His timing is perfect!   I believe with all my heart that God loves our doctor and that He wants him to know Him.    What an honor it would be to lead him to the Lord!!!   So, as you pray for us, would you please add our doctor to your prayers?   That through this battle, He will come to know Christ as His Lord and Saviour! He is such a good oncologist...but with Christ, he can be even better!   God's timing is perfect...we believe that.   Jeff's healing will come when the timing is right...until then we will glorify Christ so that He may be lifted up for all (even our doctor) to see and know!
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: Eccl 3:1
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  Eccl 3:11 
2

No comments:

Post a Comment