Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Journey #9


October 22, 2012

Well, it's late...the sandman is elusive and so I guess it's time for another journal entry.   It's been kind of a rough week around our house.   The side effects from Jeff's chemo kicked in early Wednesday.   Unfortunately, late Wednesday, so did a rather painful sinus issue for me.   So here we are, a couple of laid up "invalids" attempting to take care of each other, but neither of us feeling very good at the moment!   Neither of us like to take medicine or go to doctors...yet that seems to be what our lives revolve around!   Oh well...we will not complain...it could be worse.   

Tonight, I just wanted to briefly share what I witnessed in my amazing husband today.   He woke up this morning (well actually now it is yesterday...anyway Sunday morning) feeling very crummy.   He wasn't sick but very fatigued and not at all feeling himself.    When he told me to take the kids and go on to praise team practice (and possibly lead prayer without him), I knew something wasn't right.   So I did as he asked and I prayed that God would give him the strength he needed to get through this day.   He arrived at the church shortly after prayer time began but it was obvious to anyone who knows him that he was weak and just not himself.  Several people stopped and prayed for him and even our Sunday School class took time to pray for him.  

Service began and still he was struggling.   A couple of folks came up and prayed for him, but this very watchful wife could see no change in his countenance.   His shoulders were sagging and his eyes heavy...like he needed a really long nap.   Our praise and worship time came to an end and it was time for him to take the stage and begin his sermon.   I grabbed a stool and placed it by his podium in case he would need to sit...I was certain he would.   Much to my surprise, it seemed as if the Holy Spirit had hooked up an invisible IV to him and was pumping him full of energy.   For the next 25 minutes, this man preached his heart out!   As he retold the parable of the pharisee and the tax collector from Luke 18, he spoke with vigor and the Word came to life!   He defiantly moved my stool (though I didn't mind at all!) out of his way...and he never missed a beat.   I was amazed.   Amazed that a man who obviously felt so badly just a few moments before, was now showing no signs of fatigue whatsoever.   Amazed at how God would use a story that has been told over and over to once again move hearts and draw people to repentance.   Amazed at how good God is to remind me that when we are weak, He is strong...and His strength is made perfect in our weakness.   

Throughout the day, I reflected on how good God is to us.   He brought it to my attention that Jeff's cough is much less freguent now and even when it is present, it is not nearly so violent.   I believe that God is healing him.  Time will tell, but I believe that the same God who spoke life into him this morning will continue to do it.   And furthermore I KNOW that with one simple touch from Him, Jeff's body will be made whole.   Our God is sovreign and worthy of my praise...even if He never answered another prayer...He is still worthy!   The last part of the passage that Jeff shared this morning has stuck with me all day..."For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."  There was a time in my life when I thought I deserved to be exalted...I'm not proud of it, it's just the truth.   However, in His infinite mercy, God has allowed me to be humbled...I can think of nothing I desire more.   I must decrease, He must increase. 
That is my prayer tonight...Lord, don't let me forget this one...let this be a lesson that I remember...be glorified in my life!
2

No comments:

Post a Comment